# Action Step - External Request
With external request, you can call APIs from third-parties or your own server to request data, submit forms and etc.
In an Action step, choose "External Request" and click "Add your request" then you will see this:
- choose your request type such as GET, POST, etc
- paste your request URL
- adjust "Headers" or "Body" section if needed. e.g. setup API key
- click "Test", then area 5 will show in the "Response" section with a response code.
- 200 means success and your data show in blue.
- choose which part of the data you need by clicking the circle
- after clicking area 6, JSON path for the picked data automatically show here. $ means the whole JSON.
- choose which custom field to store the data. The type of custom field should match the type of data. Click "Add".
- finally, the mapping show at area 9. Add as many mapping as needed and click "Save".